The key purpose of management and leadership as described by the Management Standards Center (2004) is to provide direction, facilitate change and achieve results through the efficient, creative and responsible use of resource.
Management is the process of deciding what to do and then getting it done through the effective use of resources.
- PLANNING- select goals and ways to achieve them.
- ORGANIZING-assign responsibility for task accomplishment.
- LEADING-use influence to motivate employees.
- CONTROLLING- monitor activities and make corrections
A Manager To make decision, planning,forecast,review ,develop & controlling. Concerned with future, present and past.
- To manage means to bring about, to accomplish, to have charge of or responsibility for, to conduct.
- It is about what managers do to make things
- They define goals, determine the resources – people, finance, work systems and technology – required to achieve the goals, allocate those resources to opportunities and planned activities and ensure that those activities take place as planned in order to achieve predetermined objectives
- Effective & efficiency :Manage of works & load
- Problem solving
- Project management
- Balancing management
- Strategy Planning
Leadership,Improving your functional leadership
- Set standards, and maintain them.
- Monitor and evaluate performance.
- Set realistic and achievable objectives.
- Let people know that personal gain is not as important as team achievement.
- Communicate regularly.
- Encourage co-operation and compromise in the event of differences among team members.
- Keep everyone informed of progress.
- Explain what is to be done, why and how, coaching
- Encourage people to be more involved.
- Get to know people. Help people develop their skills,training
- Delegate wherever possible.
- Recognize people’s achievements and contributions.
- Make any criticism constructive.
Effective & efficiency :Manage of works & load
- EFFECTIVE = Doing the right things, meet with needs & expectation
- EFFICIENT = Doing something in the right way, within the approved budget, timely completed , quality, scope written.
- Managing Work & load:
- TO DO LIST,PLANNING,SCHEDULLING,PRIORITIES:RECORDING YOUR TIME
- REDUCE/ELIMINATE UNNECESSARY THINGS:WAITING,MEETING,TRAVELLING
Effective Problem solving
- Define the problem or issue.
- Problems v. solutions, Social v. Technical
- Gather information.
- Create options.
- logical thinking,creative thinking,brainstorm
- Evaluate options.
- Make the decisions
- Implement the decisions
- Follow up and evaluate.
- Project management is the application of knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to project activities to meet theproject requirements.
- Make things happen within compliances.
- Security v. risk-taking
- Delegation v. personal control
- Logic v. Inspiration ,innovation
- Progress(changing) v. Stability
- Control v. motivation
- Procedures v. flexibility
- Responsibility v. authority
- Strategy, a word of military origin, refers to a plan of action designed to achieve a particular goal.
- Strategic planning is an organization’s process of defining its strategy, or direction, and making decisions on allocating its resources to pursue this strategy.